Taking out a house mortgage is a big step, especially if you are a first-time buyer. If you are concerned about this huge commitment you are about to enter into, there are some things that you can check and inspect for peace of mind before entering into this long-term obligation.
Read on for some top things to look for before you take out a new house mortgage loan.
Checklist Before Signing For Your House Mortgage Loan
Go through this list to ensure that all of the basics are in place with your new home. If you have any doubts about what you find, call in professionals to inspect and report back on any potential problem areas.
- Check all plumbing in the kitchen, bathrooms and outdoor connections. Look for signs of dampness, leaks or water damage. Run and flush every tap and toilet.
- Check all walls for dampness and cracks, both indoors and outdoors.
- Floors and floor coverings should be inspected for any signs of damage.
- Floor levels should be checked to ensure the house's foundation is still even, and subsidence hasn’t occurred.
- Roofs and ceilings must be thoroughly inspected for any signs of leaks or damage. These are high-ticket repair items, so if you are in any doubt, call in a professional roof repairer to make an assessment.
- Check that all bathrooms and any obvious interior wall alterations have building consent. It’s quite common for people to have skipped the consent stage and jumped right into the work, but this can jeopardise insurance or your resale.
Get Professional Advice Before Taking Out A House Mortgage
Buying a property and getting a house mortgage is a serious business; some things could go unnoticed that might cost you thousands of dollars in the long run. You will be far better off if you work with a mortgage advisor so you can go into the process with your eyes wide open.
Get in touch with Simpler today to get top advice before you take out a house mortgage. Our consultants are standing by to assist you through our simple home loan application process, which can be conducted online.